Phimosis cream, often referred to as topical steroid cream, is a medication that is prescribed as a non-surgical treatment for phimosis.
Phimosis is a common penile condition that is characterized by a tight or narrowed foreskin that cannot be easily retracted over the glans or the head of the penis.
Phimosis treatment cream is a type of mild corticosteroid cream consisting of betamethasone and hydrocortisone that is applied topically to the affected area.
These creams work by thinning the skin to help loosen and stretch the tight foreskin over time. The cream or ointment needs to be gently applied over the affected area in the quantity and direction prescribed by your healthcare provider.
What are the Top Creams for Phimosis Treatment in India?
In India, there are several steroid and non-steroid creams for the treatment of phimosis in adults. It is important to note that the choice of cream may vary depending on the severity of your condition and the preference of your healthcare provider.
Some of the most commonly used phimosis creams in India are given below:
- Betamethasone: Betamethasone is one of the most commonly used corticosteroid creams that is prescribed to treat phimosis. Betamethasone helps significantly reduce inflammation and can aid in softening and stretching the foreskin. In most cases, it is advised to use the cream 4-5 times a week, but it is advisable to consult your doctor regarding the frequency and direction for using this cream beforehand.
- Hydrocortisone: As compared to betamethasone, hydrocortisone is a more mild corticosteroid that can be used to alleviate inflammation and assist in the management of phimosis by softening and stretching the foreskin. In some cases, hydrocortisone creams also contain anti-microbial medicine that treat bacterial infections.
- Triamcinolone: Triamcinolone is another corticosteroid cream that can also be used to alleviate symptoms of phimosis, such as inflammation and pain, while simultaneously assisting in softening and stretching of the foreskin.
- Mometasone: Similar to hydrocortisone, mometasone is another medium-potency corticosteroid cream that can be used to treat phimosis while relieving symptoms such as inflammation in the foreskin.
It is to be noted that before using any of the above-mentioned phimosis creams, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional regarding your condition and if phimosis cream is the right treatment for you.
While phimosis creams may be effective, they come with their own set of potential side effects and proper guidance regarding its use is necessary.
Benefits of Using Phimosis Cream
Phimosis treatment cream, which typically consists of topical corticosteroids betamethasone and hydrocortisone can offer a multitude of benefits in the treatment of phimosis. Here are some potential benefits of phimosis cream treatment:
- Preservation of foreskin: For individuals who wish to preserve and maintain their foreskin, phimosis creams offer a feasible alternative to surgical intervention such as circumcision. Phimosis cream can allow mobility of the foreskin without the need for circumcision.
- Avoidance of surgical intervention: Phimosis cream is often recommended as a conservative treatment to avoid more invasive surgical procedures like circumcision. For individuals who do not wish to undergo circumcision, a phimosis cream is a feasible alternative.
- Reduction of inflammation: Redness, soreness and inflammation in the foreskin are some of the most common symptoms of phimosis. With the help of corticosteroid creams, however, these symptoms can be significantly reduced.
- Reduced or absence of pain during urination: As your foreskin continues to loosen with the correct and prescribed application of phimosis cream, you may experience a normal, consistent stream of urine without any pain or discomfort.
- Better hygiene: A loose foreskin that can be easily retracted over the penis glans is easy to clean and wash off any excess smegma that may have accumulated there over time. Clean and hygienic penis glans significantly reduce your chances of developing balanitis or UTI as well.
Is ointment the best treatment for phimosis?
Phimosis cream is often used as a more conservative treatment option before moving forward with invasive treatment methods such as circumcision.
Phimosis creams are primarily recommended for physiological phimosis in infants and young boys where the foreskin is naturally tight.
It is to be noted that while phimosis cream may present positive results in some adult patients, its effectiveness highly depends on the specific cause and severity of the condition.
Phimosis treatment cream for adults with mild to moderate phimosis, where the tightness of the foreskin does not cause significant discomfort or difficulty with penile hygiene, may be considered as a conservative, non-surgical treatment.
In more severe cases, however, circumcision surgery may be the only effective and permanent solution. It is also to be noted that phimosis cream is not a permanent solution or cure for phimosis, and your condition may reoccur once you’ve stopped its application.
Read More – Is Circumcision Good or Bad
Conclusion – Final Verdict
Phimosis treatment creams are often regarded as a more conservative and non-surgical method of treating physiological phimosis in infants and young boys. It is to be kept in mind, however, that the effectiveness of phimosis creams decreases significantly as a person continues to age.
While phimosis creams may be effective in treating mild to moderate phimosis in adults, they are known to be ineffective in treating severe cases of phimosis. In such cases, circumcision may be the only effective and permanent solution.
Read More – Benefits of Circumcision for Adults
While the idea of circumcision may sound invasive and unnecessary, recent advancements in technology have made it increasingly easier and minimally invasive with the help of laser and specially designed surgical tools such as a stapler.
Circumcisions in modern times require minimal recovery time, and you can return to your daily tasks sooner. If you are facing a severe case of phimosis and other non-surgical treatments have been ineffective, it is advisable to consult your healthcare provider and have a detailed discussion about laser circumcision.